Curried Cashew, Pear & Grape Salad, Roscoe Village, Chicago
I made this salad for a barbecue a few months ago. Jessica, Jen, Chad and Quinn were over and Dallas was out of town. Everyone said they liked it. On AllRecipes, where I got the recipe, 45 people rated this salad an average of 5 out of 5 stars. It’s a great mix of savory – curry, nuts, bacon, rosemary – with sweet – grapes, pears. Give it a try for something new and different!
Curried Cashew, Pear, and Grape Salad
3/4 cup cashew halves
4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens
1/2 medium Bosc pear, thinly sliced
1/2 cup halved seedless red grapes
1. In a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast cashews until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove cashews to a dish to cool slightly.
2. Return skillet to medium-high heat, cook bacon strips until crisp on both sides, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and soak up grease with a paper towel. Coarsely chop bacon, and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together butter, rosemary, curry powder, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and toasted cashews. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, stir together white wine vinegar, mustard, and honey. Slowly whisk in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a large salad bowl, toss dressing with greens, pear slices, grapes, and bacon, and sprinkle with nut mixture.