My mom made these for my cookie party. I don’t know where she got the recipe originally, but we’ve made them and enjoyed them every year for as long as I can remember. One of our family’s favorites.
- Kellogg’s Special K cereal
- 1 cup Karo or any white corn syrup
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 Tbls Butter (4 Tbls or 1/4 cup or 1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups Peanut Butter (18 oz jar)
Slightly break up enough Special K cereal in a large bowl until you have 6-8 cups. Set aside.
Mix and cook the next four ingredients in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, for about 1-3 minutes or until the mixture starts to boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute and quickly pour over the measured Special K and mix quickly and thoroughly (mixture will be HOT).
Pour and press evenly into a buttered 13″ X 9″ glass or metal cake pan.
- 1/2 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz or 1 cup)
- 1/2 pkg. Butterscotch chips (6 oz or 1 cup)
In large glass measure, mix together chips. Microwave for up to 5 minutes stirring every 10 or 20 seconds, until thoroughly melted. Stir often and watch carefully. Will continue to melt while stirring. (1/4 tsp margarine or butter, or a drop or two of cooking oil, may be stirred in if this mixture becomes dry looking).
Frost bars with melted chocolate. Let cool. Enjoy !